The Holidays are the Perfect Time for Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening has been in existence for centuries now. It is a cosmetic dental procedure used to lighten discolored teeth. There are a host of factors that make teeth whitening such a popular procedure which include price friendliness, effectiveness, painless and of course, it provides you with immediate results.
Getting your teeth whitened helps in improving overall self-esteem and also your general appearance since it makes the smile more attractive. Teeth whitening typically costs less than most other procedures and is done in relatively quick amount of time. The process is so straightforward that it can be performed in the comfort of your home. As we know, every individual is different and as such, patients come for treatment with varying structures of teeth which in turn means some can get treatment completely in one visit while others get theirs done after multiple visits.
How Teeth Whitening Works
The main chemical agents used in whitening of the teeth are hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide. Researchers have discovered that these chemicals are safe for use provided they aren't used in excess amounts or used in the wrong way. Hydrogen peroxide, in particular, is pretty risk free as it is absorbed by the body and later eliminated as waste.
Hydrogen peroxide has been a very popular agent for decades now because of how effective it is in getting the desired result. It works by acting on your teeth's dentin and enamel, oxidizing both and resulting in a clearer, whiter appearance of the teeth. The use of this chemical usually yields nothing but positive reviews as it does its work without adversely affecting any structure in the mouth. It is worthy to note, however, that there are sometimes a few complications which arise from leaving the gel on the teeth for longer than the allocated time period. This would induce tooth sensitivity and could leave the teeth prone to different forms of bacterial infections.
Types of Teeth Whitening
1. At-Home Teeth Whitening: People that opt for indoors whitening usually do so because they are undergoing an extensive treatment which would end up consuming time and they prefer that time being in the comfort of their own home. Our expert dentists here in Summerlin specialize in in-home care dental management. The first thing they do will be to create impressions in your mouth thereby making custom fitted molds. The ideal thing is for the dentist to hand the patient about half a year's supply of trays and whitening gels. They do this to ensure you have enough to last you the duration of the treatment and you can also phone in to request for more if need be.
2. Professional Teeth Whitening: The boom in teeth whitening is mainly due to the fact that you can easily book an appointment with a dentist, walk into the dental center, get on the chair, and in a couple of minutes you're out with a sparkling set of teeth. The process usually takes about 45 minutes max and dentists use either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide and some even use a special light for better results. Getting your whitening done in a healthcare facility is sure to get your teeth two to three times brighter.
3. LED Whitening: This new form of at-home dental treatment is fast and effective. It focuses on three main components: whitening gel, heat, and LED lights. Just the use of the lights won't get the job done so all three have to be in place to get the appropriate result. The lights focus on the stains present on the teeth and eliminate them in order to give you that million-dollar smile. The American Dental Association has okayed the use of this treatment as it deemed safe. LED lights shouldn't be confused with UV lights however as those are very harmful to the body and cause mutation of cells.
4. Whitening Products From Stores: These are very common in modern society. There are a lot of pharmacies and stores that provide people with whitening agents such as toothpastes, mouthwash, gels and strips to mention a few. These are also a safe bet as long as you're getting it from a reliable store. The only issue with these is that they don't last for long. Their effects wear off after a few months and you'll need to consistently reuse the products if you want to keep your teeth white.
Why the Holidays are the Best Time to Whiten Your Teeth
The holiday season is that time of the year where lots of people get conscious and aware of their physical appearance and try to do something about it in order to be in full holiday spirit. Nothing gives more joy than looking back at old photos and seeing yourself with a bright smile showing off your white set of teeth. Some of the reasons why the holidays are the best time to whiten your teeth include:
1. The Holiday Season: Yes, literally the first reason why you get your teeth whitened is because it is the holiday season. During the holidays there will definitely be a lot of shopping and probably visits to some new places. First impressions they say, last a long time. It would definitely be a plus going to all the stores and new destinations with a big, white, beautiful smile.
2. Family Get-togethers and Reunions: What better time to show your winning smile to the rest of the family. This is arguably the one time of the year where everyone can come together as a family to spend quality time. It would definitely boost your confidence and reputation if you have the brightest smile in the bunch.
3. Parties: There is no time of the year where parties are hosted more than during the holidays. If you're a socialite and the type that likes attending parties then you should be looking forward to showing up to the functions with a showstopping smile aided by your new, improved whitened teeth.
4. Exposure to Teeth Staining Foods and Drinks: During the holidays, there is a lot of eating and drinking. Most of the items consumed are wines, cakes and other desserts that end up staining your teeth. If you're someone that hasn't gotten their teeth whitened before then this will probably add to the already discolored look of the teeth. The best solution after the festive period will be to visit one of our outstanding dentists here in Las Vegas for the best care available.
5. A Fresh Start: The holidays coincide with the end of the year. This means during the festivities a new year will arrive. What better way to enter the new year than with a freshly whitened set of teeth. For those resuming education, this is sure to make you the talk of the class and it will bring a lot of positive attention from your peers and teachers alike.
Everyone wants to look good, some do so by getting a new haircut, changing their wardrobes, buying expensive shoes and other items. These are all fantastic ways to improve your overall look, but it would be most impressive to flash your smile with confidence and bright, white teeth. Contact us today to book an appointment with our highly rated dentists and staff. We promise to make it completely worth your while.