What is a Cosmetic Dentist?
Cosmetic dentistry is a branch of dentistry that deals with improving the appearance of the teeth, gum and/or bite of an individual. One of the first parts of the body that gets noticed when you meet someone for the first time is the teeth. Keeping them in perfect shape and health is therefore essential in building and maintaining healthy relationships with those around you. The main aim of a cosmetic dentist is to make your smile and teeth more aesthetically pleasing.
Difference between a General Dentist and a Cosmetic Dentist
General dentists are regarded as the first line for dental care. They serve as the primary dental care provider and they mostly offer just preventive forms of care for patients such as teeth cleaning, dental crown creation, teeth filling and dental bridges to list a few. Cosmetic Dentists on the other hand are trained to specialize in the act of beautifying the dentition of the patient with the aid of more invasive procedures. Treatments target the care and overall improvement of the gums and teeth.
Who Can Go for Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures?
At a point in everyone's life, they will have a reason to visit the dentist for one reason or the other. In some cases, they have to undergo procedures that will require the expertise of a cosmetic dentist. Anyone with a healthy set of teeth and gums is allowed to do cosmetic dentistry. Individuals who have cavities, gingivitis or other forms of gum disease will need to first meet up with a General Dentist to address the existing problems before taking part in cosmetic dentistry.
Functions of a Cosmetic Dentist
As stated earlier, Cosmetic Dentists aim to enhance the dentition of a patient. They help form a more balanced and aesthetically appealing dental look. Some of the roles they perform include:
1. Teeth Whitening: Regardless of whether you brush frequently or not, as time goes by dark colored beverages like coffee can stain your teeth. If left unattended for a long time, then the stain becomes permanent, and the teeth need to be whitened manually by a cosmetic dentist. It is a safe procedure and we at Willow Springs Dental provide you with the best cosmetic dentists who are all equipped with the skill and facilities needed to help give you that beautiful smile you've been longing for.
2. Contouring of the Teeth: Not everyone is born with the same size of teeth. Some have teeth with excessive amounts of enamel. The procedure of teeth contouring focuses on removal of the excess enamel thus changing and reconstructing the shape of the teeth.
3. Contouring of the Gum: Many dentists have had a case of excess gum to handle. Some individuals are born with excess gum tissue surrounding the teeth. Usually, these people have low self-esteem due to the fact that they feel insecure about their smile. Visiting us at Willow Springs Dental is sure to give you the boost in confidence you're looking for. Our cosmetic dentists help remove excess gum tissue and also reshape the gum line, aligning it with the teeth in order to give you the desired results which of course is a perfect smile.
4. Dental Implants: The same way you age as the years go by is the same way the teeth age as well with time. For some this means there will be loss of teeth possibly through decay. Dental implants help replace lost teeth. The procedure involves your cosmetic dentist slowly attaching screws to the jaw in order to keep it in place and provide support, then the implants are gradually inserted into the socket of the lost tooth. With time the tissue and bone gradually fuse together with the implants and this ensures the replacement of the lost tooth in the mouth. Our dentists at Willow Springs Dental ensure the implants are attached the right way which makes them blend perfectly with the surrounding teeth.
Advantages of Having a Cosmetic Dentist
1. Improves Your Smile: For anyone hoping to change the appearance of their smile, cosmetic dentistry could be exactly what they need. A cosmetic dentist with the aid of their equipment can help you achieve a beautiful smile in no time at all.
2. Enhance Oral Hygiene: Getting cosmetic dentistry done assists in helping oral hygiene because it is easier to take care of teeth that are straight and uniform. This would reduce the risk of tooth decay and in so doing, improves oral health and hygiene.
3. Improve Self-Esteem: it will be very difficult to have good self-confidence if you're always conscious about how flawed your teeth are. Getting cosmetic dentistry done will instantly boost your self-esteem because it wholesomely addresses all the ongoing issues as regards your dentition.
4. Treatment of Stained Teeth: Nothing is more annoying than looking in the mirror and seeing stains in your teeth. A good cosmetic dentist like the ones we have here at Willow Springs Dental will ensure your teeth stay stain free either with teeth whitening procedures or the use of veneers which are very important because they help hide the stains which no form of teeth cleaning or whitening could remove.
5. Solution to Chipped Teeth: A chipped tooth could ruin the dentition of an individual. It leaves the tooth prone to decay and it could also affect the feeding of such an individual. The aim of every cosmetic dentist will be to fill up the space created by the chipped tooth. Depending on the size of the chip, a patient could have the whole tooth covered with a porcelain crown.
6. Helps Improve Your Bite: A good cosmetic dentist would recommend Invisalign for you if he or she notices your teeth aren't well aligned. This will help straighten your teeth, improve the quality of your smile and also help make your biting ability better. Having a below par bite can lead to headaches and stiffness in the jaw area. Immediate action by your cosmetic dentist will help alleviate all these painful consequences as well as improve the lifespan of your teeth.
Having access to excellent dental care is now easier than ever. The role of a cosmetic dentist is becoming more and more important every day. A clean, healthy set of teeth has been linked to a general improved lifestyle in most individuals. What are you waiting for? Book an appointment with us at Willow Springs Dental today and get that showstopping smile!